December in the Garden
December brings on the holiday season. Spend early mornings or lazy afternoons in the garden to avoid those scorching summer days and to keep your plants happy in the heat!
Garden jobs for December:
- Give your garden a good fertilise with an organic fertiliser.
- Top up your gardens with mulch, it looks great and helps with water retention!
- Look into making some shade cloths to go over garden beds. It’s perfect for protecting sensitive vegies on those hot summer days
- Investigate drip irrigation for your garden beds. Save water as it slowly drips and absorbs into the soil throughout the day.
- Pull those weeds!
- Consider some crop rotation to give your garden beds a break and rejuvenate the soil. Plant Millet, Lablab, or Cow Pea for a season to give back some much needed nutrients.
What to grow in December:
- Swan River Daisy
Don’t forget when planting flowers, they not only look attractive but create a welcoming environment for all sorts of friendly insects.
|Asian Greens||Basil||Asian Greens|
|Basil||French and Climbing Beans||Basil|
|Snake Beans||Capsicum||French and Climbing Beans|
|Sweet Corn||Mediterranean Herbs*|
*Including Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Marjoram and Oregano